The novel corona virus (2019-nCoV) has symptoms similar to a range of illnesses such as influenza and may include fever, coughing and difficulty breathing – but these symptoms do not necessarily mean someone has the virus.
Looking after your own health
The most important way to stop the spread of infections:
• Regularly wash your hands (for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap and dry thoroughly)
• Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze
• Stay home if you’re sick
• Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
• If you do feel unwell you should avoid public gatherings and events
• On current advice, hand and cough hygiene are more effective than masks for reducing the spread of novel Coronavirus.
The situation throughout the world is changing daily and the Ministry of Health is working to keep the health sector and the public up to date as these changes occur.
You can ring the Ministry of Health’s dedicated Coronavirus Health Advice line (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or you can visit the Ministry of Health’s website at health.govt.nz/coronavirus more information on 2019-nCoV.